Skip to main content

Morroco to Melbourne

My final stop in Australia was to Melbourne to visit my friend Ellen who I met in Morocco. Ellen was teaching English in Spain last year and I was there studying. Over Easter break we both happened to sign up for an excursion to the Sahara Desert and after 5 days of camel riding and African adventures we left with an incomparable friendship. 👯 She came to visit me for a weekend in Salamanca and I was SO excited to visit her in her hometown and meet her family! The Pettys are some of the kindest, most hospitable people I have ever met. On my first full day in Melbourne I was telling her dad how I have never seen a wild kangaroo and he immediately said "get dressed, we're going kangaroo hunting."



not only did we get to see some kangaroos in their natural habitat I also got to see an echidna which looks kind of like a porcupine. It was a very successful hunt!

While I was in Melbourne it was my birthday and I was so happy to be able to celebrate with familiar faces. It isn't easy being away from home on holidays, but luckily I have some freaking amazing friends around the world! The night before my birthday Ellen and I went to the Spanish club and had the absolute best time! I turned 29 at midnight dancing to reggaeton and I couldn't have picked a more amazing way to ring in my birthday! 
The next day (my actual birthday) my friend Eliza picked me up and took me on a bday excursion! Eliza and I met in Rome and it was love at first sight when she walked into my dorm looking for the free pasta event. It was so great to see her again and she made my birthday so unbelievably special! We went to Hanging Rock which had a beautiful view of the suburbs in Melbourne and then had lunch at the cutest cafe and she even got me a mini bday cake! 😍

I always say that my favorite part of travel is the people you meet along the way. I have been so blessed to not only travel the world but meet the most amazing people doing so. Many of my favorite people have been Australians and it was lovely to see their beautiful country and reunite with them. I was SERIOUSLY blown away by the hospitality I was shown here. So once again, thank you to all my Aussie mates who made these 3 weeks unforgettable; I love you all! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One week down

I have officially survived my first week of this crazy adventure! A week ago, I was landing in Edinburgh and had no idea what was awaiting me. I was definitely most nervous about this part of the trip because I was going to be travelling solo and have never been to Scotland before.. but I was in for an amazing surprise. This city totally captured my heart! I met some absolutely amazing people and made memories that will last a lifetime! When I first got off the bus in Edinburgh to be honest I was feeling defeated. I had to pay an arm and a leg for overweight bags, and I lost my phone on my layover. I was dragging my suitcase up a giant hill and then all of the sudden I turned a corner and saw this amazing view Seeing Edinburgh castle for the first time literally took my breath away. I couldn't help but stop and smile. Here I was jet lagged, drenched in sweat from carrying all my stuff but just seeing something so beautiful made me know that no matter how hard it seems at ti...

Sofia take two

After my week in Athens volunteering, I headed to Chalkida for some much needed down time. This is the beach town where Jen had been living for the past two weeks.  After spending a few relaxing days by the beach we headed off to the airport to give Sofia another try 😆We only had about 30 hours to see the city and we were determined to make the most of it! On our ride from the airport, our taxi driver insisted on us getting out and taking our picture with the famous cathedral. 😅 We got to our hostel and they were SO welcoming, kind, and helpful. The girl at the front desk sat down with us and went over the map explaining the major sights and the best places to eat..guess she knows the way to our hearts 😍 We spent the first day just walking around, taking in the sights and checking out the local food scene. We were so happy to be back, and that it was so nice and cool compared to Greece! That night we did a free pub crawl with the hostel which was fun and the next...

Exploring World Wonders and stuff

Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef has always been on my bucket list and I knew if I was going to Australia, I couldn't miss out on the opportunity. Most people do the excursion out of Cairns but it was cheaper to fly into Proserpine. After doing a little research, I found out that this airport was quite close to the Whitsunday Islands, which I had heard amazing things about. So it was settled; I would kill two birds with one stone. I booked a 2 night boat tour which would sail through the Whitsunday Islands and we would stop off to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef a couple of times (what is my life?!) I arrived in Airlie Beach the day before my boat excursion and it was so. freaking. hot. Luckily my hostel had AC so I just kind of hid in there but the next day it was even worse. When I got on the boat I was feeling way out of my comfort zone. It was so much smaller than I had expected and somehow 25 people were supposed to sleep comfortably in these stuffy cramped quarters? I t...